Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 66: A Day in the Life!

Day 66 ... that doesn't sound good to me for some reason but I am choosing to ignore that for now!

I have been asked what I usually eat day in and day out - so I thought I would share it with you.   This can be the most overwhelming part of the starting and going raw but it doesn't have to be and that is why I wanted to share my daily routine.   Not only to show you how easily attainable it can be but also how most of you may already eat this way - hats off to both!


Breakfast
This is a no brainer ... green lemonade or green smoothie!  I honestly wake up looking forward to making my drink and enjoy every sip that goes in my mouth.  Yes, there are some days when I am looking for a little something new - like last week I had more of a fruit smoothie every morning full of strawberries, blueberries and lots of green, green, green.  Variety is good : )

Morning Snack
Bowl of fruit ... and I mean a BOWL not a cup!  Anything and everything that looks yummy, sounds delicious and maybe on sale that week.

Lunch
I usually have a salad for lunch.   Wait, don't stop reading!  Not a boring, run of the mill salad - I try and make it as hearty as I can and as crunchy as I can.  A big bowl full of avocados, tomatoes, fresh greens, carrots, celery, cucumbers, olives with a tangy dressing ... the kind of salad that makes your mouth water and your stomach FULL. 

Afternoon Snack
I will grab a handful of nuts - raw almonds to be exact or a Luna Bar.  I used to be obsessed with Balance Bars.  I had a tear in my eye when I thew out my last box of Balance Bars but was happy to find out that Luna Bars are considered raw and they do have a variety of flavors including chocolate chip cookie dough (thank goodness!)

Dinner
This is where you get creative, or I try to at least!  The possibilities are endless - I love making a raw vegetable sauce over whole wheat noodles, for my kids and husband I will add chicken to their portions.  I've made 'Raw' Lasagna before which is lasagna without the meat and cheese but extra veggies and more sauce, so good.  Portobello mushroom fajitas with whole wheat tortillas are a family favorite too ... again, lots of possibilities!  Also, depending on my day I will enjoy a glass of red wine with dinner and revel in my day with my husband.   And let me tell you - I enjoy dinner more than I ever have in the past - I taste every bite that goes in my mouth and LOVE it.  I think before I ate without even thinking and maybe without chewing!

Evening Snack
Oh how I love chocolate.  Some weeks I can't have it in the house (I'm being honest) but for the most part I have a few 70% cocoa chocolate bars in the fridge and break off a piece for dessert.  Oh how good it tastes.  Milk chocolate will never taste the same!


So ... the day in the life of eating raw - not so bad, right??   I went at it full steam - but that doesn't work for everybody.  I have said a lot lately that being 'raw-ish' is not a bad thing, it is a GREAT thing! Vegan-ish, Raw-ish ... it's all a HUGE step in a healthy direction.  Just like I want to have Taco Tuesdays at my house where we only speak Spanish - have a Raw Monday or even a Raw breakfast and lunch to see if you feel the difference...I bet you do and if so ... let us know!  I am inspired by all of YOU!

HAPPY GREEN!

1 comment:

  1. this rocks. thanks. needed some direction for snacks, etc. ;-) and luna bars are raw? fabuloso!!

    ReplyDelete