Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 119: Proper combining ... and the AHA moment!

Life is crazy these days ... and I have missed writing about my journey!! So, I am back ...

Raw is going well. Not so much over Mother's Day weekend but a girls gotta indulge, right??

BUT, the great thing about eating healthy and raw is ... you always come right back to making your body, mind and spirit healthy after actually seeing and feeling the benefits. So as good as that yummy ice cream was to finish off my Mama's Day ... it was right back to 'doin' a body good' on Monday.  

I thought I would share with you my 'blueprint' on how I eat and the categories that I have mentioned a few times.  No matter how you eat, this is and hopefully will be an 'aha' moment for you.


Here goes:

There are 4 basic foods for the purpose of our body - 

1. Starches
2. Fleshes
3. Nuts/Dried Fruits
4. Fresh Fruit

To give you the Easy 101 behind all of this, these food groups should NEVER be combined.   I have described to you before that our digestive tract is much like a highway - if you block the lanes, you have a traffic jam which means it doesn't properly digest and that is extra weight we are holding on to. Yes, weight...the extra pounds we all would like to go away!  Sooooo, if you follow these groups, then your highway will always be traffic-free and your body will start to shed the extra weight it is holding on to!  IT'S THAT EASY, I promise!

Here is a chart that I LIVE by and basically plan my meals around:


I know the picture didn't come out so well ... let me know if you want a copy and I can email it to you!  

How do you do use this chart?  It maps out how you should combine your foods throughout the day.  Vegetables (fresh and steamed) can be combined with the first 3 categories ... Fruit should always be eaten by itself. I know, I have told you that before ... it even got it's own post!  

If you're going to have a 'flesh' for dinner, eat a wonderful piece of fish, or anything else you see on the list above (preferably organic but who am I to say!) and have a great BIG side of steamed vegetables on the side.  And my goodness, have another piece of meat/fish that you made, better to eat more in the same category than go to another food group.   BUT don't put rice with the meal because it's in a different group.  At our house, I used to make a meat/fish for an entree, vegetables (my mom always said there had to be a color on the plate) and some brown rice ... I was wrong!  The meat (flesh) and the rice (starch) cancel each other out and don't properly digest in your system.  Basically (mom, cover your ears) ... the two get stuck in your digestive tract and it could be weeks before you poop it out!  GROSS, I know but I have never talked about poop so much.  But that's the way it works, folks! You eat, you poop. There is no extra 'weight' in your body that turns to fat.  

And don't get my started on fruit ... if you were to eat the yummy meal I mentioned above and then have a bowl of fresh fruit afterwards for dessert, it ferments that delicious meal you just ate ... yes, ROTS the food and it doesn't come out.  Yes ... this was MY 'aha' moment in eating.  It's all about the 'Quick Exit combinations'.  And it works.  Try it for a week but don't forget to let me know how it goes.  There is A LOT you can eat on the table above that most of you didn't know!


Ok, that was exhausting ... I hope that makes some sort of sense to you.  Let me know if you have questions or if I can send any info to you!!  Summertime is right around the corner ... that goes for me too! Happy combining ... and 


HAPPY GREEN!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, love your blog! So helpful (which you always were) :) i would love for you to email me that chart. I want to look into it... :) jessicatchobot@gmail.com
    love this!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visiting your blog and it is eye opening! Such good information. I would love the chart please. laurenlgum65@gmail.com thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete